Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Social Bookmarking- NETS IV, V

Using Delicious.com, I was able to bookmark and complete eight specific tasks. Each specific task was related to a webpage, and I had to bookmark those pages to My Delicious, and tag them. This is such a great way to bookmark things, because you are able to access it from any computer! Not only that, but you are able to see what everyone else is bookmarking as well!


1) National Archives:
On the National Archives website, I bookmarked “The Portrait of Black Chicago.” “The Portrait of Black Chicago” is an article/portrait, which talks about a famous photographer named John White. John White was a photographer for The Chicago Daily News, and photographed the difficult circumstances many of Chicago’s African Americans had to go through. Presently, White is a staff photographer with the Chicago SunTimes. Due to his passion and talent towards photography, he has won many awards, and his work has been published widely. Primary sources are so important to implement into a classroom, because it is important for students to learn and understand about the past.

2) National Education Association:

• The types of student groups which experience achievement gaps, are: boys/girls, students from low-income families, students with disabilities, racial and ethnic minorities, such as: Asian American, African Americans, and Latin Americans. Lastly, English language learners are also experiencing achievement gaps, because they have a difficulty understanding what is going on, therefore they miss out academically.

• One area that best fits my teaching style, would be firstly, to ensure that my school has a mission statement which commits to cultural competence as an integral component of all its activities. The cultural competence committee should be involved in developing this statement. As a future educator, this fits me, because I believe that if a school develops a mission statement showing that they are accepting of all cultures, this in return will make students of minority more comfortable and positive in their learning environment.

• Another area which I feel best fits my teaching style is: to network with parent, family, minority community, and faith-based organizations concerned with the needs of diverse students. Solicit their involvement and input in the design and implantation of initiatives for culturally, linguistically, racially, and ethnically diverse groups. As a future educator, I feel this best fits me, because: I feel parents and family contribute so much to their child’s education. Communication from the teacher to the parents is so important, in making a child’s education a successful one. With a supportive family, community, parents, and faith-based organizations, children receive the proper support to push them in being all they can be.

• Lastly, an area which I feel best fits my teaching style is: to gather and organize resource materials related to culturally diverse groups for use by school staff. As a future educator, it is so important to constantly be researching new teaching strategies to apply to all my students. An Inclusive classroom is something I plan to have, and in order to do so, I need to gather and organize new strategies, so all of my students feel included and just as successful as each other!

3) Stop Cyber Bullying:

• The score I received on the Cyber Bullying quiz was a: 3. According to the quiz results, I am a “Cyber Saint”. I was really interested when reading the questions, because I have some friends who have made up fake IM’s, etc, and I would’ve never known that it was considered “Cyber Bullying”. After completing this quiz, I feel my perspective has changed on Cyber Bullying. I use to think that it was just considered threatening someone online; After seeing that things such as creating a fake Instant Message screen name is even considered to be cyber bullying, my perspective has changed. It just goes to show you that sometimes many of us, especially children, do not realize that the simplest things you do can really hurt someone else. As a future educator, I really need to monitor my students, and make sure no one is bullying anyone!

• One area I researched and learned about, were the various types of cyber bullies, and how there is not only one. According to the information presented on the website, there are four types of cyberbullies: the “vengeful angel”, the “power-hungry, and “revenge of the nerds”, “mean girls”, and lastly, “the inadvertent cyberbully”. Each cyber bully is different in the way they bully the victim, and the strategies they come up with to bully differ as well. For example, “mean girls” usually plan ahead what they are going to do to their victim in a group. Whereas, “the inadvertent cyberbully” does not usually plan ahead, but rather bullies someone because they are provoked by something.

4) Kathy Schrock’s Guide for Educators:

• One area which interested me on this website, located in the “Subject Access” category, was: Health, Physical Education, and Fitness. I chose this area, because I feel Physical Education and Health are such important components to keep a child’s brain “energized”, and ready to learn! One component which interested me were the: Activity Calorie Counter. From my perspective, growing up, my parents had a huge impact on the way I now choose to eat as an adult. In elementary school, I can’t think of one teacher who ever taught us about health, or what to eat, and what not to eat. My parents always influenced fast food, and now years later, I have realized how unhealthy it is for you, especially as a child. Years later, it becomes much more difficult to take out of your lifestyle, because your parents implement it into your life so much. Therefore, I feel as a future educator, it is such a good idea to make my students familiar with what is healthy and what isn’t. We need to teach our students about calories, so they know what they are and how they work with your body. I have actually done this calorie counter recently for a Physical Education class last semester, and it made me realize how many calories I was taking in daily! I think this would be a great tool to apply to my classroom to have my students learn about their health and how important it is, especially at such a young age.

• One area of “Teachers Helpers” which I found really interesting was: Bulletin Board Sites. I explored the different bulletin board links, and as a future educator, found them very resourceful. While doing my observations for my other class, I loved the way the teachers had decorated their classrooms on the bulletin boards. I plan to use this website for future reference as an educator, and apply some of the bulletin board ideas to my classroom.

5) Multiple Intelligences:

My three top intelligences and their scores:

• Musical: 63%

• Interpersonal: 63%

• Intrapersonal: 63%

What I learned from video:

• In the video: “Multiple Intelligences Thrive in Smartville”, I learned about the different intelligences each child possesses. According to Howard Gardner, there are seven different types of intelligences, and each child possesses a different one. One child may be a physical learner, whereas another child may be a visual learner. As a future educator, I need to recognize this, be patient with all of my students, and accommodate them any way I possibly can to fit their “intelligence”. Not every child learns the same way, and not one child is exactly the same, therefore I need to try my hardest as a teacher, to realize this, and create strategic plans so every one of my students is able to use their specific intelligence, and be just as successful as their fellow classmates.

6) Teaching Tolerance:

• Grade: 1st through 2nd grade

• Subject: Arts

• Topic: Identity Posters

The “Identity Posters” Lesson I chose to do my research on is to teach children more about their names and what they mean, and to learn more about their classmates’ names as well. To begin the assignment, the students are given a sheet of a variety of different questions to ask their parents about the meaning of their names, such as: Why they chose that name for them, what the name means, etc. After students complete this task, they bring this sheet to class, and share with their classmates Each child shares with one another, and as a result everyone learns something new about each other. They then bring in photos of themselves, their familes, friends, and also use magazines to cut out things that describe them as an individual. They create their own posters, decorating them with these pictures and information about themselves. The teacher hangs the posters up on the wall, but each week he/she will take down a poster and put it in a prominent area where the students can focus on it.

I feel this lesson plan is a great way for students to get to know not only themselves, but also one another! It is very important as a future educator, to create that friendly atmosphere in your classroom. As a future educator, I plan to apply this into my classroom, in hopes that students will learn not to judge a book by its cover or name, but to get to know their fellow peers as a unique individual.

7) Multicultural Education and Equity Awareness Quiz:

After taking the Online Multicultural Education and Equity Awareness Quiz, the two questions I chose that really interested me were questions one and eight.

• Question 1: According to the National Center for Education Statistics, what is the percentage of U.S. schools with no teachers of color on staff? The correct answer was: 40 %.

o The resulting statistic really interested me. 40% percent is a really high statistic, especially when you are comparing all of the United States schools. This is a topic which also came up in my other education class: EDUC 364. I believe this percentage is so high, because many people of color who do attend college, end up dropping out, or even those in high school end up dropping out, because it is proven that a high percentage of people who come from families of color, live in poverty or lower class.
• Question 8: According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the median and annual income for U.S. white men, 25 years or older, who have earned graduate degrees, is $80,000. What are the median annual incomes for Latina and Native American women, 25 years or older, who have earned graduate degrees? The correct answer was: $50,000 and $40,000, respectively.

o This answer really interested me, especially because I am a woman. I do not understand why women, who receive the same degree, and are the same age, receive lower income compared to men. The results really astonished me.

8) Netiquette Guidelines:

I received a 70% on the Netiquette quiz :-> . As a future educator I should use Netiquette into my classroom, because it is a great source for students to use to become familiar with cyberspace. Social Networks, such as Myspace and Facebook, have become so popular, especially with young children, and it is important for them to know how to approach these sites, what to be cautious about, and how to act on these sites. Hopefully this website will help my students out a lot and teach them how to behave appropriately online. The internet can be a safe and fun place to interact and learn, we just have to have manners when we use it and to “remember the human”.

No comments:

Post a Comment